Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter: Korean Style!

First of all: Happy Easter!!! I love this wonderful day of celebrating the incomprehensible love of God and the freedom and joy that we have because Jesus. I also love the time with family and the traditions. This year I was away from family and the traditions were a little, um, different. So, without further ado, I would like to present - Easter: Korean Style!


I am blessed to have wonderful family and friends back in the States and received two Easter packages in the last couple weeks. Using what they sent (and a little creativity) I made an Easter… area, for myself. An empty Clinique bag made a perfect Easter basket to hold my yummy chocolates and my brown speckled eggs nestled quite nicely in an old mushroom container. (Just try to ignore the big ol’ TV they’re sitting on).




Sunday morning I got up early (ok, 6:30, but for my new life of working nights, that feels early) and Lizze and I went to the church to catch a shuttle bus to Suwon World Cup Stadium. For those of you who don’t know, I’ve been going to Global English Church (GEM) which is a part of Global Mission Church which is, as I have recently discovered, quite large. This Easter Service was one big meeting for all the sister churches and different services that at all part of Global. The service was mostly music, which is good because the English translation that was offered didn’t really work… we all had little headphones, but due to either faulty equipment, or the translators unfamiliarity with live translation, we got maybe every 50th word. I don’t think anyone was using them by the time the sermon came around. Here are some pictures and amazing videos from the service. I can almost guarantee you’ve never seen an Easter service like this one… unless maybe you live in Korea…









People in each section were handed a different colored scarf as we went in. As they introduced each church group we held up the scarves to show where we were. Mine is grey.

Parade of flags

Yay USA! ^_^

Releasing the balloons from the arches.



Ok, here are a couple videos of really cute and talented kids who love Jesus.



And now... well, you'll just have to watch it... (and sorry for the shaky quality at times. This is definitely due to laughter - some of it mine, most Lizze's)


Ok, really, how can you follow that last video? However, my day was not over. After the service Lizze and I joined a group from GEM that went to the Hwaseong Fortress for a picnic and to walk to trails. Good thing I didn’t wear a cute little Easter dress this year! I did wear cute little Easter socks however (thanks Pakou!).





This way, guys!



Oh, hello!

How do you shoot this thing?

Out of the way Lizze. Let me show you how it's done...

Why are they always locked?

"We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."

I just want to see...

Gah! Bad idea!



The entire day was beautiful, which was such a blessing considering all the day’s events were outside and it had rained the first part of the week. The day was certainly different from what I’m used to, but it was a lot of fun and is certainly an Easter I will remember forever! Now I think I’m going to sit in my apartment, upload photos, and eat chocolate eggs until I pass out and dream of Easter egg hunts with Korean pop stars…

No comments: