Saturday, June 22, 2013

Reflections - Didn't see this coming...

Last month I celebrated my 28th birthday. I feel 30 fast approaching and it’s kind of scary! 


10 years ago I had just graduated high school and the popular question was, “where do you see yourself 10 years from now?” Life has turned out pretty differently than 18 year old Melina thought it would. I thought I would be married and probably have a kid or two. I never imagined I would be independent enough to go off on my own adventures on the other side of the world. This isn’t the life I imagined for myself, but it is the one God gave me and it has a beauty all its own. Sometimes I wish things had gone differently, but I know these experiences are growing and shaping me. And I trust that God has a plan for me. 

View from my apt. Love it!

There are many things I love about my life right now. I ADORE my students. I want to hug them all and kiss the tops of their heads. And I LOVE that I am working in a country where I can hug them and be playful without worrying about a lawsuit. I LOVE the relationships I am building with friends and how I see God using me to build community. I LOVE that I can do something that makes a difference in people’s lives. I LOVE feeling like I mead a real impact and that I took initiative to follow through on something instead of just talking. I LOVE that I am able to be debt free and to pay for school as I go. I LOVE that I am in a place financially to enjoy life and be generous. I LOVE that I am able to live comfortably in another country – that I can experience new and exciting things while navigating this life fairly well on my own. I LOVE being unique and feeling free to do what I want because I will stand out no matter what I do – there is no feeling that I need to conform because conformity is IMPOSSIBLE. 

Can you find us?
There are so many wonderful things about the life I have right now. I have grown so much in the last 10 years and I feel that I am really starting to get a clearer picture of who God has made me to be. I know now that I am passionate about developing and nurturing COMMUNITY. I know that I am a MOTHER , regardless of whether or not I have my own children – I long to care for others. I know that I am a TEACHER, regardless of whether or not I have a classroom – I love helping people understand and discover things. I see God developing these qualities in me, using them in small ways now, and preparing me for the future. 

My Saturday Special Drama class performed "The Wizard of Oz"... slightly adapted... :)
So where do I see myself 10 years from NOW? I do hope I will be married and have a kid or two. I imagine myself as a missionary somewhere working side-by-side with my husband, bringing light to dark places and providing community for the isolated. But honestly, I really don’t know. And I think that is ok. As I have already seen so far, it may not turn out as I expect, but it is still good. So I am sure 10 years from now will be great because GOD IS GREAT and life with him is always the best. Hello 28 year old Melina. Focus on now. God’s got the rest under control.


Peace!

No comments: