Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Parable 2: The King and His Servants


There once was a good and powerful king with wealth beyond imagining. As he looked out over his kingdom he saw people living in hardship, unable to find honest work. This broke the king’s heart. So he sent out a proclamation that he would provide work for any in need and would pay them from his own riches. In the following weeks floods of people came through the palace courts to receive their assignments and soon the whole land was living in prosperity.

As news of the king’s greatness spread, people from distant lands began traveling to see if it was really true, and if they too could find work. One day, two such travelers entered a town at the edge of the kingdom. “Let us separate,” the first man said to the other, “and talk to the people of this town so that we can learn about the king before we meet him.” The second man thought this was a wise plan so each went his own way, agreeing to meet at the inn come nightfall.

That evening the two men sat at a table with hot food and cold drinks and told their stories. The first man began, “After we parted ways I wandered up and down the streets looking for a place to break my fast. I saw two men and greeted them, but when they realized I was from out of town they attacked me and stole my purse. I was astounded. Why would they do this when they are employed by their king? I was not badly hurt, so I got to my feet. As I walked a woman called to me from an open doorway, “Traveler! You look in need of a bowl of hot soup and some bread. Come, eat!” I approached and told her that I would like nothing better, but that I had no money. She frowned and told me to go to the king, who would give me a job. I asked if it were true that the king would give work to any who asked. Her frown lifted and she told me of the king’s great love and generosity. She told me how her own family had prospered, and that I had only to ask and I too would receive all these things. I replied that I had, in fact, been on my way to visit the king, but had been attacked by two men who stole my money. She seemed very upset and for a moment I thought she might invite me in to eat. Instead she again told me to go to the king. The gnawing at my stomach made me bold, so I asked, “Lady, since you have been so richly blessed, might you spare a bowl of soup to help me on my way?” She took a step back into the house and replied, “I’m sorry, but I can’t. I have to take care of my own. Come back after you have seen the king and you will receive a most hearty welcome. Good day Sir.” With that she disappeared inside and shut the door. The rest of the day I walked the streets receiving much the same greetings. I think we should leave this place at first light. The king is most surely a wicked man.”

The second man was taken aback by this final statement and asked his friend to explain. The first man went on, “What kind of king employs evil men who would attack an unarmed traveler? And if that weren’t enough, there’s the woman who refused to help me in my need. I think that the king must not really be generous, but forces them to praise him as if he is. Why else would this woman be unable to spare even one bowl of soup?”

The first man finished and sat back with his drink to listen to the second man. He began, “Well, after we parted ways I walked to the center of town and sat myself down at the foot of a statue in the middle of the square. I sat there all day and watched. People came and went, some stopped to talk to me and others passed by without so much as a glance. From my seat I saw, down one alley, three men come stumbling out of a bar, heavy from a night of drinking, and cursing and punching as though each had been wronged by the entire world. Down another alley I saw an old woman struggling to carry a large burden. As she stepped into the light of the square a man sitting at his breakfast saw her and immediately went to help. I saw pick-pockets and prostitutes, I saw charity and thoughtfulness. One man shared his lunch with me and another spat on me. I think we should continue on in the morning. I, for one, am eager to meet this king.”

The first man sat forward, nearly spilling his drink, “What! Why? Those who serve him are no better than – are even worse than the rest of the world. A few may be good, but that certainly does not justify the actions of the rest!”

The second man nodded, “It is true that some of the people here are evil, but just because they live in the king’s town does not mean they are employed by the king. It is quite possible that they live here because it is comfortable, or they were raised here, but choose not to work for the king. It is even possible that they live here because they think the people are easy prey. Also, the king swore to provide work for all who come to him, not just the pleasant people. Surely not all of his servants reflect him. I want to meet this king and see for myself. It may be that you are right and if so, we have only lost a few days. However, it may be that I am right and we will soon be rewarded for our trouble. So what will it be? Shall we judge the king by his servants, or by the man himself?”


1 comment:

Sarah D. said...

I love how you are presenting old tales in a new way. It caused me to pause. I can't wait for the next installment.