Sunday, January 3, 2010

Hello from Korea!

Where to begin? As I have been thinking about writing, a million and one things have been running through my head. Well I guess first off I can say – I made it safely to Korea! Getting here was a little crazy. I had trouble re-confirming me flight (Expedia said “you just need our confirmation number”, US Airways said “Expedia hasn’t issued a ticket.” Lots of calls, being on hold, and being disconnected, only to find out upon getting to the airport that, regardless of what Expedia said on my itinerary, my flight was actually through United!)

I then took a tiny plane to LA where I had to go to the exact opposite end of the airport to get the next part of my ticket, stand in another security line for ages (15 minutes before my plane was scheduled to board), speed walk with my heavy carry-ons to the furthest gate in that terminal, and walk up right as the last people were boarding. Whew!


The flight was about 13 hours, but I slept a lot, watched a couple movies, and was served some pretty good food. Someone a few seats ahead of me threw up a couple times, but other than that, the flight was pretty uneventful. Near the end of my flight I had to fill out the customs declaration form. I went through the boxes quickly: no, I am not carrying illegal drugs or firearms, etc. Then I got to the produce box and remembered that Mom gave me an apple for the trip. I hadn’t eaten it and really wasn’t hungry. I began to wonder if I would have to get rid of it. But my Mommy packed it for me! The thought of throwing away that beautiful red apple made me want to cry! So I marked “no produce” and, when the time came, marched my way through the “nothing to declare” line. Thankfully, no armed guards pulled me aside to examine my bag and reveal my illegal apple.


This might be the best apple I've ever eaten. ^_~


I was met by a driver with my name written on a piece of paper, and driven to Bundang, about an hour from Seoul, where I was met by the director of my school who showed me my apartment and made sure I had some essentials for my first couple days in Korea. He left, I sent a quick email home, then went to bed at about 8:30pm.


This morning I met up with Muang, a friend from college who has been here for 8 months, and one of her friends. We went to Somang Presbyterian Church then to Muang’s apartment where I picked up some things Jeff left for me (thank you so much!). Then it was back to my apartment so I could get some things done before I start training tomorrow. It doesn’t sound like much, but man am I tired!

That’s it for now. I’ll leave you with a little tour of my apartment.


Closet?.....


Guess again! It's my kitchen/laundry!


My beautiful green, pink, and purple closet.


Bathroom. Yes, that is my shower hanging over the sink.


And my current favorite - My bed!


I also have a refrigerator, a little table with chairs, and a little tv, but they are not photo worthy. ^_^ Love you all. Bye for now!

2 comments:

Sylvia Lawson said...

I'm really glad you kept the illegal apple and ate it. It's good for you, that's why I gave it to you! Love you dear!

Aly sun said...

I love that shower. The Koreas seem to be pros at multi tasking. Keep the posts coming. You will enjoy reading back on these experiences and I'll enjoy keeping up with you this way. Such a great opportunity. A friend of mine has a sister who just arrived in Korea at Dongtan. I tried to google the location to find out if you were anywhere close, but couldn't find anything in English. Anyway, her blog address is http://anamericanindongtan.blogspot.com

PS If you change your settings on your comments so that they appear in a pop-up window or a separate page, it will be easier for people to leave comments. With your current setting, blogger leads through about 3 pages and it gets confusing. I know how precious comments are, so I wouldn't want anyone to get discouraged.