Friday, October 2, 2009

Scribbling

The title Scribbled Journeys came to me several years ago through my dear friend Ryan. The thought behind it was that I process through writing, scribbling my journey through life on paper and often sharing it with others. I am constantly scribbling down on scratches of paper ideas, plot outlines, phrases, lines of a poem I might someday write – these are all part of my journey.


Recently, however, the title has come to mean something else to me as well as I realize more and more how messy life is. We have a black and white outline of what we think the picture should look like, but as we begin to color, we just can’t keep the crayons inside the lines. Sometimes this is so frustrating and I want to scream, “God! Can’t you see, you’re messing up my picture!?” But then he reminds me that it’s His coloring book, His picture, His crayons. He has simply invited me to join Him. And he reminds me that if I’ll relax and trust Him, scribbling can be way more fun than staying in the lines – even for a perfectionist like me.


No comments: